Thursday, August 18, 2011

Open Doors

Hi folks!

Well, this is my first blog moment. Uff Da La! On the skirttails of a conversation I had with a new acquaintance, I expressed my love of baking and cooking, and how I found comfort in baking while getting through an absolutely frightening time of my life. A divorce ... an end of 32 years, and an end to the family as we knew it. This new friend understood me. Though not a divorce, he also had a critical life changing moment where his baking gave him much needed comfort.

So, a new beginning, while baking my way through divorce. Through some difficult times, I baked some darn good stuff! There was nothing like shutting down worry, turning up the music, and putting my hands into a mixing bowl. Having at it, to create something simple and lovely, while my life was less than simple and lovely.

On a whim, I recently entered a local Fair baking contest. I nearly did not participate, but decided to take a chance, what was there to lose? I truly had no expectation of winning, but thought it an opportunity to see some fabulous bakers and their goods. Well, amazed is an understatement, I was stunned to see a Blue Ribbon on each of my two entries! Amazing Grace! (By the way, Grace is the name of my sweet dog.) A moment of pure joy! This small victory was the one of the best things to happen to me in some time.

If you are experiencing a life changing event, know that you are not alone. Take each day at a time, sometimes, a moment at a time. Be good to others, be even better to yourself. Do find a way to help someone else, as it certainly will help you. There are open doors, dear friends, if you choose to walk through them.

How did I get through it?? Stay tuned. A recipe to follow on next blog.

Peace.

Irishgirlinpink

No comments:

Post a Comment