Monday, September 5, 2011

Bittersweet Fall - Fallin' into Makin' Muffins

Hi Folks!

I believe we are finally experiencing a taste of fall! My very favorite season. The air is crisp, the birds are flocking, and a few trees are tinged with gold. Oh my, I so love everything about it!

Sweet Grace
Also, walking sweet Grace is now a pure joy!

Here she is waiting for crumbs that may fall! Sweetest dog there ever could be! My true companion! Can you tell that I sort of love my dog??






Speaking of fall, and a taste, check out these "knock your socks off" melty good muffins!
Makin' Muffins

Yes, these were made, along with many others, as I baked my way through that separation nearly two years ago. I baked like you wouldn't believe, and much to the joy of others, I might add.

Also, in the midst of the last two years, I surely added some unwanted weight. It is time I find my way back with my other loves in life, that being yoga, running and walking, and baking, of course. Jiggle and all! Ha!

So, separation, divorce and baking . . .how does that fit?

Well, it did for me. Baking was a way of taking myself away from everything that was out of my control. It was my "space", a place to put my hands to work, to create, a place to let go and enjoy. Whatever it did for me, it surely brought me some peace.

My love for baking and cooking goes far back to when I was a wee girl. I watched my mother as she also so enjoyed her baking and cooking life. She was an excellent and amazing baker and cook. She could turn the simplest ingredients into something so special. Oh how I missed and needed my parents. My dad, I can tell you that he was the best dad ever, he was my hero! He would have been all over it, to see me get through.

I gave it all to God, after months of worry and sleepless nights, I realized what I could not control. I had to give it up and let go. Amazing, when you put it all in God's hands, you will find a deep sense of relief and peace. God will get you through. People will be there for you just when you need them most. Trust in the power of prayer, and then let it go. Breathe. Be thankful for everyone you love, and every little thing. I took nothing for granted.

Do not let stress rule your day. Find what you love and do it. Let no one steal your joy and peace. Be happy anyway, no matter what is taking place around you. Go into your "space" and know that you deserve to enjoy your life. Take the time to care for others. You are special (as a trusted friend has told me many times, much to my not liking to hear it)!

Know this, you will not only get through it, you will be stronger and happier than you can imagine. You will be surprised by how strong you really are. This difficult period of your life will leave you saying "I did it, I got through". Be proud.

So, go create something! Make some muffins, and make someone else happy!

Peace.

Irishgirlinpink


Melty Good Harvest Muffins (Yes, I made up the name) Hope you give them a whirl!
1.5 C Cake Flour
1/4 C Wheat Bran
1/4 C Flaxmeal
2 t. Cinnamon
1 t. Baking Powder
1 t. Baking Soda
1/2 t. Salt
Apple finely chopped
3/4 C Pumpkin
1/2 C Applesauce
3/4 C Honey
1 t. Vanilla
1/4 C Butter melted and cooled
1 Egg beaten
3/4 C Buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients; combine wet ingredients and mix into dry ingredients just enough to blend. Be careful to not over mix it for a tender crumb. Drop into prepared muffin cups and top with streusel. if desired. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

When cool, top with icing.

Streusel
4 T Cold Butter Cut into a mix of 1/4 C Flour, wee bit of Oats, Brown sugar and Cinnamon to liking.

Icing
1 C Confectioner's Sugar
3-4 T Milk
Wee bit of Orange Juice and Zest

Feel free to comment if you enjoy the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment